Meerkats are now at the Darling Downs Zoo !!
Encounters with these wonderful animals are available at 10am, 12.30pm and 2pm each open day.
You enter their enclosure with our experienced keeper and sit on a log or a rock while the Meerkats come to sit on your lap.
Our keeper gives you treats such as mealworms to feed the Meerkats. You may even have Meerkats up on your shoulder. Some lucky participants even have photos of a Meerkat standing on their head! If you are by yourself our keeper is happy to use your camera to take photos of you. The enclosure is surrounded by a low fence so non-participants can easily photograph you from the outside.
Our keeper is a wealth of information about these unique little animals so feel free to ask all the questions that you wish.
Each Encounter lasts until the animals get tired of it – usually about 15 minutes or so.
Unfortunately, access to the Meerkat enclosure is not easy so this Encounter is not suited to visitors confined to wheelchairs or with significant mobility issues.
Participants will not be permitted with open footwear or with any obvious health problems such as open sores, persistent coughs or runny noses.
The cost is $100 per person and does not include zoo admission. You must sign in at the Zoo Shop before going to the Encounter.
As the zoo does not receive any funding from government or council we use every cent earned by this Encounter to support the husbandry of our animals and our participation in captive conservation programs at this zoo.
- Children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by a paying adult
- You must not have open sores on your body – keep covered
- You must promptly obey every instruction of the keeper or your experience will be terminated
- There will be no refunds if you fail to attend at your booked time or if your experience has to be terminated by the keeper
- Does not include admission to the Zoo